Journal of Educational Controversy

OUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS FROM JECWWU CHANNEL -- 49 videos

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

In Memoriam: Jonas F. Soltis


I was saddened to hear that the last mentor from my doctoral days at Columbia University’s Teachers College, Jonas Soltis, has passed on.  I was so fortunate to have had Philip Phenix, Maxine Greene and Jonas Soltis as my professors and members of my doctoral dissertation committee during the 1970s.  While Phil Phenix gave me a holistic view of what philosophy can provide, and Maxine an existential one, it was Jonas that honed my analytical skills during the heyday of analytical philosophy that still dominated the field during those years.  Jonas’ evolution in his approach to philosophy in subsequent years had a profound effect on both my thinking and teaching as I tried to help new teachers see the relevance of philosophy to their work.  His application of philosophy to actual classroom issues and contemporary problems left an indelible mark on multitudes of young teachers that I have taught during the years as well as on the launching of the Journal of Educational Controversy.  His legacy will be a powerful one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.